Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Where can I configure sentry policies in cloudera manager 5.1?

Contributor

When I was trying to selecting "Enable Sentry Authorization using Policy Files" and click save in Hive configuration, cloudera manager shows:

• Sentry authorization cannot be enabled using both policy files and Sentry service at the same time.

Because I used both sentry service and policy based sentry here. Does anyone knows where can I configure policies or its counterparts with cloudera manager? Does the new sentry service still maintain sentry-provider.ini? Thanks!

Innovation Never Die
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Sentry service stores policy information in a relational database, whereas the Policy File implementation uses a file. You should never use both at the same time as that would be redundant. When using Sentry service, you issue grants and revokes via the HiveServer2 client beeline.

The descriptions for the Sentry configuration in the CM UI have links to documentation explaining the usage, which should answer all of your questions.

Thanks,
Darren

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi,

Sentry service stores policy information in a relational database, whereas the Policy File implementation uses a file. You should never use both at the same time as that would be redundant. When using Sentry service, you issue grants and revokes via the HiveServer2 client beeline.

The descriptions for the Sentry configuration in the CM UI have links to documentation explaining the usage, which should answer all of your questions.

Thanks,
Darren