Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

"Requested user hive is not whitelisted and has id 504,which is below the minimum allowed 1000" when running Hive query with explode function

Super Collaborator

Hello,

I am using HDP 2.3.4 sandbox, the sandbox has been kerberoized.

I have loaded some struct and array types data into Hive, where the schema looks like this:

exampletable
 |-- listOfPeople: array (nullable = false)
 |    |-- element: struct (containsNull = true)
 |    |    |-- Name: string (nullable = false)
 |    |    |-- id: integer (nullable = false)
 |    |    |-- Email: string (nullable = false)
 |    |    |-- holiday: array (nullable = false)
 |    |    |    |-- element: integer (containsNull = true)
 |-- departmentName: string (nullable = false)

, and trying run this query in Hive View:

SELECT explode(listofpeople.name) AS name from exampletable;

with these Hive View settings:

2919-2016-03-21-15-34-16-ambari.png

However I am getting these:

INFO : Tez session hasn't been created yet. Opening session
ERROR : Failed to execute tez graph.
org.apache.tez.dag.api.SessionNotRunning: TezSession has already shutdown. Application application_1458555995218_0002 failed 2 times due to AM Container for appattempt_1458555995218_0002_000002 exited with exitCode: -1000
For more detailed output, check application tracking page:http://sandbox.hortonworks.com:8088/cluster/app/application_1458555995218_0002Then, click on links to logs of each attempt.
Diagnostics: Application application_1458555995218_0002 initialization failed (exitCode=255) with output: main : command provided 0
main : run as user is hive
main : requested yarn user is hive
Requested user hive is not whitelisted and has id 504,which is below the minimum allowed 1000

Failing this attempt. Failing the application.
at org.apache.tez.client.TezClient.waitTillReady(TezClient.java:726)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezSessionState.open(TezSessionState.java:217)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezTask.updateSession(TezTask.java:271)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezTask.execute(TezTask.java:151)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:160)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TaskRunner.runSequential(TaskRunner.java:89)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.launchTask(Driver.java:1703)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:1460)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.runInternal(Driver.java:1237)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1101)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1096)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.runQuery(SQLOperation.java:154)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.access$100(SQLOperation.java:71)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation$1$1.run(SQLOperation.java:206)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1657)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation$1.run(SQLOperation.java:218)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

This thread kind of says this is the desire behaviour and google suggests to change the allowed.system.users in yarn-site (but it doesnt seems to work)

If I just want to run the query successfully on the sandbox what needs to be done? Or what is the best practice solution for this?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@David Tam

Here is hortonworks documentation I read go to page 19

Each account must have a user ID that is greater than or equal to 1000. In the /etc/hadoop/conf/taskcontroller.cfg file, the default setting for the banned.users property is mapred, hdfs, and bin to prevent jobs from being submitted via those user accounts. The default setting for the min.user.id property is 1000 to prevent jobs from being submitted with a user ID less than 1000, which are conventionally Unix super users.

Hortonworks

Hope that explains it

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Collaborator

Have you also changed the value of min.user.id. ?

Or you can change the id of hive user above 1000

Super Collaborator

@Rahul Pathak - yes I have as I said they dont seem to work...

Master Mentor

@David Tam

Here is hortonworks documentation I read go to page 19

Each account must have a user ID that is greater than or equal to 1000. In the /etc/hadoop/conf/taskcontroller.cfg file, the default setting for the banned.users property is mapred, hdfs, and bin to prevent jobs from being submitted via those user accounts. The default setting for the min.user.id property is 1000 to prevent jobs from being submitted with a user ID less than 1000, which are conventionally Unix super users.

Hortonworks

Hope that explains it

Super Collaborator

Hello I have forgotten about this, but at the end I have actually got it to work.

What needs to be done was using kadmin to create a new keytab, and and add principal ambari-server@KRB.HDP to the keytab. Also it needs a full restart of the sandbox.

See Setup Kerberos for Ambari Server

Thanks to @Geoffrey Shelton Okot for pointing the right direction