Community Articles
Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.
New Contributor

This article is designed to extend the great work by @Ali Bajwa: Sample HDF/NiFi flow to Push Tweets into Solr/Banana, HDFS/Hive and my article Connecting Solr to Spark - Apache Zeppelin Notebook

I have included the complete notebook on my Github site, which can be found on my Github site.

Step 1 - Follow Ali's tutorial to establish an Apache Solr collection called "tweets"

Step 2 - Verify the version of Apache Spark being used, and visit the Solr-Spark connector site. The key is to match the version of Spark the version of the Solr-Spark connector. In the example below, the version of Spark is 2.2.0, and the connector version is 3.4.4

%spark2
sc
sc.version
res0: org.apache.spark.SparkContext = org.apache.spark.SparkContext@617d134a
res1: String = 2.2.0.2.6.4.0-91

Step 3 - Include the Solr-Spark dependency in Zeppelin. Important note: This needs to be run before the Spark Context has been initialized.

%dep
z.load("com.lucidworks.spark:spark-solr:jar:3.4.4")
//Must be used before SparkInterpreter (%spark2) initialized
//Hint: put this paragraph before any Spark code and restart Zeppelin/Interpreter

Step 4 - Download the Stanford CoreNLP libraries found on here: http://nlp.stanford.edu/software/stanford-corenlp-full-2018-02-27.zip . Upzip the download and move it to the /tmp directory. Note: This can be accomplished on the command line or the following Zeppelin paragraph will work as well.

%sh
wget -O /tmp/stanford-corenlp-full-2018-02-27.zip http://nlp.stanford.edu/software/stanford-corenlp-full-2018-02-27.zip
unzip /tmp/stanford-corenlp-full-2018-02-27.zip

Step 5 - In Zeppelin's Interpreters configurations for Spark, include the following artifact: /tmp/stanford-corenlp-full-2018-02-27/stanford-corenlp-3.9.1-models.jar

74547-screen-shot-2018-05-23-at-122025-pm.png

Step 6 - Include the following Spark dependencies for Stanford CoreNLP and Spark CoreNLP. Important note: This needs to be run before the Spark Context has been initialized.

%dep
z.load("edu.stanford.nlp:stanford-corenlp:3.9.1")

//In Spark Interper Settings Add the following artifact 
//  /tmp/stanford-corenlp-full-2018-02-27/stanford-corenlp-3.9.1-models.jar
%dep
z.load("databricks:spark-corenlp:0.2.0-s_2.11")

Step 7 - Run Solr query and return results into Spark DataFrame. Note: Zookeeper host might need to use full names:

"zkhost" -> "host-1.domain.com:2181,host-2.domain.com:2181,host-3.domain.com:2181/solr",

%spark2
val options = Map(
  "collection" -> "Tweets",
  "zkhost" -> "localhost:2181/solr",
//   "query" -> "Keyword, 'More Keywords'"
)
val df = spark.read.format("solr").options(options).load
df.cache()

Step 8 - Review results of the Solr query

%spark2 
df.count()
df.printSchema() 
df.take(1)

Step 9 - Filter the Tweets in the Spark DataFrame to ensure the timestamp and language aren't null. Once filter has been completed, add the sentiment value to the tweets.

%spark2
import org.apache.spark.sql.functions._
import org.apache.spark.sql.types._
import com.databricks.spark.corenlp.functions._

val df_TweetSentiment = df.filter("text_t is not null and language_s = 'en' and timestamp_s is not null ").select($"timestamp_s", $"text_t", $"location", sentiment($"text_t").as('sentimentScore))

Step 10 - Correctly cast the timestamp value

%spark2

val df_TweetSentiment1 = df_TweetSentiment.withColumn("timestampZ",  unix_timestamp($"timestamp_s", "EEE MMM dd HH:mm:ss ZZZZZ yyyy").cast(TimestampType)).drop($"timestamp_s")

Step 11 - Valid results and create temporary table TweetSentiment

df_TweetSentiment1.printSchema()
df_TweetSentiment1.take(1)
df_TweetSentiment1.count()
df_TweetSentiment1.cache()
df_TweetSentiment1.createOrReplaceTempView("TweetSentiment")

Step 12 - Query the table TweetSentiment

%sql
select sentimentScore, count(sentimentScore) from TweetSentiment group by sentimentScore

74548-screen-shot-2018-05-23-at-125315-pm.png

Comments
New Contributor

Ian, thanks so much for such a great article.
I'm getting the following error when trying to run step 9 -"error: not found: value sentiment" when trying to set "df_TweetSentiment".

Could you help me with that?

Many thanks!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎08-17-2019 07:20 AM
Updated by:

Contributors
Top Kudoed Authors