Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

IllegalArgumentException: Can not create a Path from an empty string?

Super Collaborator

I am designed pipeline to load the data from HDFS loaction to Hive partition table.I have created two Feed xml files and one process xml using falcon .The one feed provide the input to falcon process entity(i.e. HDFS location where data actually resides) and another which store the data into hive table(which is present in hive and partitioned).

The Feeds are succeeded thought out the pipeline but falcon process is failing with error like

ERROR:-

org.apache.oozie.action.ActionExecutorException: IllegalArgumentException: Can not create a Path from an empty string at org.apache.oozie.action.ActionExecutor.convertException(ActionExecutor.java:445)

I can able to see feeds are running successfully but there is something problem with process entity and one thing more,I am scheduled to run one hive script to achieve this whole pipeline.

Hive.hql:-

LOAD DATA INPATH '$input' OVERWRITE INTO TABLE "${falcon_output_table}" PARTITION(${falcon_output_partitions_hive});

Here I don't understand why oozie is throwing such a error,whether it's hive error or oozie error?

Thank in advance,

Please share yous ideas with me regarding this issue.

1 REPLY 1

@Manoj Dhake

, the error you mentioned comes from a Hadoop class named Path. This class is used widely throughout the Hadoop ecosystem to represent a path to a particular file or directory in a file system. Conceptually, it is similar to a URI with some additional validation and normalizing logic specific to the Hadoop ecosystem's expectations.

As stated in the exception, it is illegal to attempt to make a Path from an empty string. This looks like something in the call sequence either failed to obtain correct information to create a Path, or possibly dropped information. Is there a longer stack trace that accompanies the error? If so, then I recommend looking at that stack trace in more detail. Depending on the classes and methods referenced in the stack trace, I expect it will pinpoint whether the issue is happening in Hive or Oozie.