Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Supported functions in Hive ODBC driver

New Contributor

Hi

I'm looking for a list of supported ODBC functions in the HIVE ODBC driver.. 

I have a particular issue with  { fn EXTRACT(YEAR FROM "datecolumn")  } which is not recognised  but a comprehensive list would be great.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Super Guru

@Markyd ,

Functions used in Hive queries are usually passed to the Hive service as is. I don't think the ODBC driver does any particular processing or validation of those functions. At the end of the day it's a matter of whether the Hive version you're using supports that function or not, and this depends on the Hive version being used, not the driver version.

Here you can see a comprehensive list of Hive functions and the associated Hive version where they were introduced: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/hive/languagemanual+udf

Which version of Hive are you using?

Are you using the Cloudera ODBC Drivers for Hive? Which version?

Cheers,

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

New Contributor

Thanks for the info, that's very useful. It's Hive 3.1.2, Cloudera ODBC for Hive 2.6.1

Interestingly I get the following results querying though the ODBC driver (use native query = false)

SELECT extract (year FROM "datecolumn")   -- accepted

SELECT { fn extract (year FROM "datecolumn")  } -- ParseException 

and yet

SELECT { fn year("datecolumn") } - accepted

So there may be an inconsistency in the way the driver parses the ODBC function syntax.

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Guru

@Markyd ,

Functions used in Hive queries are usually passed to the Hive service as is. I don't think the ODBC driver does any particular processing or validation of those functions. At the end of the day it's a matter of whether the Hive version you're using supports that function or not, and this depends on the Hive version being used, not the driver version.

Here you can see a comprehensive list of Hive functions and the associated Hive version where they were introduced: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/hive/languagemanual+udf

Which version of Hive are you using?

Are you using the Cloudera ODBC Drivers for Hive? Which version?

Cheers,

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

Thanks for the info, that's very useful. It's Hive 3.1.2, Cloudera ODBC for Hive 2.6.1

Interestingly I get the following results querying though the ODBC driver (use native query = false)

SELECT extract (year FROM "datecolumn")   -- accepted

SELECT { fn extract (year FROM "datecolumn")  } -- ParseException 

and yet

SELECT { fn year("datecolumn") } - accepted

So there may be an inconsistency in the way the driver parses the ODBC function syntax.

Mark