Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Configure Apache NiFi process endpoints via separate configuration

New Contributor

My environment contains two separate and independent setups. My development environment runs all software on a VM with everything being local. Either using localhost or my internal IP address. My production environment runs with everything being in a pod. Each having a hostname.

Currently when I create a template from my development environment and move it to my production, I have to go through all the processes and change the endpoints so that it will continue to run and process.

Is there a method in NiFi, that I can define the endpoints on the system that contains the NiFi service, that the processes can rely on to get the proper value for the endpoints. I can move the templates between my development and production and visa-versa without having to reconfigure each process?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Elmer 

What you described here is the use case for the NiFi Parameters capability.
Parameters allow you to set configurations values within NiFi components thaT are unique per environment.  Parameters can be used in both non-sensitive and sensitive property ( password) fields.
Then in each unique environment you set up a parameter context that uses the parameter name, but with the unique value for that specific environment.   

Then when you port over your flow definition or template, you can configure the NiFi process group in which contains your ported over flow to use the cluster specific parameter context.  No need to go to each component and reconfigure them anymore.

If you found this response assisted with your query, please take a moment to login and click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.

Thank you,

Matt

[1]https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/user-guide.html#Parameters

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Mentor

@Elmer 

What you described here is the use case for the NiFi Parameters capability.
Parameters allow you to set configurations values within NiFi components thaT are unique per environment.  Parameters can be used in both non-sensitive and sensitive property ( password) fields.
Then in each unique environment you set up a parameter context that uses the parameter name, but with the unique value for that specific environment.   

Then when you port over your flow definition or template, you can configure the NiFi process group in which contains your ported over flow to use the cluster specific parameter context.  No need to go to each component and reconfigure them anymore.

If you found this response assisted with your query, please take a moment to login and click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.

Thank you,

Matt

[1]https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/user-guide.html#Parameters