Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

I am trying to use sandbox with virtual machine on Mac but after it says Linux loading it gets stuck at the black screen ... can you please tell me what could possibly go wrong I have i7 Mbp with 8 g ram. Thank you so much :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Ahmad Hassan , this Sandbox is based on docker. So there is a VM and inside that VM, there is a docker container where all HDP components are installed and running. You might have login to the VM using either port 2122 or 22.

Exit the shell and then do the following from your local machine terminal to enter the docker container(use port 2222😞

ssh root@127.0.0.1 -p2222

This will ask for the password which is hadoop and then it will prompt you to change the password. Then try running hive command.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Super Collaborator

@Ahmad Hassan , the latest sandbox has a lot of useful components running in it, so it needs at least 8 GB of RAM itself. So your laptop should have more than 8GB of RAM, perhaps 12 or 16.

ok little more progress made I clicked the down arrow and saw the processes load and finally it showed 127.0.0.1:8888 to log into when I type the address in the browser it doesn't open !!! oh and during loading phase vboxadd-service didn't load .. I wonder if it has got anything to do with this .. so close please help 🙂

Super Collaborator

@Ahmad Hassan , can you please follow this tutorial and check that you have gone through all steps. Further, can you please try 127.0.0.1:8080 in different browsers?

I tired different browsers still no go. Absolutely I flollowed all the steps. Now I am at command line [root@sandbox ~] ... but if I write hive it says command not found.

Also if I try to use Mac terminal for remote ssh then it says connection closed by remote host my windows friends used putty and they were able to run commands ..

Super Collaborator

@Ahmad Hassan , this Sandbox is based on docker. So there is a VM and inside that VM, there is a docker container where all HDP components are installed and running. You might have login to the VM using either port 2122 or 22.

Exit the shell and then do the following from your local machine terminal to enter the docker container(use port 2222😞

ssh root@127.0.0.1 -p2222

This will ask for the password which is hadoop and then it will prompt you to change the password. Then try running hive command.

Super Collaborator

@Ahmad Hassan, please try to use comment section when you are not answering. Thank you

When I used terminal remote login I used the address you mentioned it still didn't go through .. ssh_exchange_identification: connection closed by remote host

Super Collaborator

check your virtual box, is it showing if your VM is running. This usually happens when you do not have enough RAM. I would suggest you to get the machine which has at least 12 GB of RAM so that you can allocate 8GB to the Sandbox. Or download the previous version of Sandbox from here.

Go to Hortonworks Sandbox in the Cloud section and click on Expand next to Sandbox archive. Download HDP 2.4 from there.