Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

is there any way to reset ranger admin UI password ?

Master Guru

I have forgotten my ranger UI admin password. could you please help ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Contributor

If you forget the admin password, you can reset it by executing db sql:

update x_portal_user set password = 'ceb4f32325eda6142bd65215f4c0f371' where login_id = 'admin';

This will reset the password to 'admin'. Then, they should change the password via UI.

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

The previous answer gives the response on how to reset the password in Ranger for a fixed user/password combination with the value "admin:admin". But if you want to reset or check the password value on Ranger for any user or password combination you have to use the following.

Passwords in Ranger are saved in the password column of the x_portal_user table as MD5 hashes in the format password{login}. For instance the hash for the amb_ranger_admin account with secret123 as password will be as follows:

$ echo -n 'secret123{amb_ranger_admin}' | md5sum
 md5sum4d9f6af4210833cb982d27c9042d9ac1  -

Of course you may also use this and pgsql/mysql to change the password for any user via command line as requested by another user.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Ambari Version 2.6.0.0

HDP version 2.6.3.0-235

Oracle Database 12c

Despite the restoration of the password in the database. I could not log into Ranger UI.

Changing the password in the Ranger configuration also did not give anything. I changed the password in the configuration: "Ranger Admin user's password for Ambari" and "admin_password".

What else can I do?

Expert Contributor

The previous answer gives the response on how to reset the password in Ranger for a fixed user/password combination with the value "admin:admin". But if you want to reset or check the password value on Ranger for any user or password combination you have to use the following.

Passwords in Ranger are saved in the password column of the x_portal_user table as MD5 hashes in the format password{login}. For instance the hash for the amb_ranger_admin account with secret123 as password will be as follows:

$ echo -n 'secret123{amb_ranger_admin}' | md5sum
 md5sum4d9f6af4210833cb982d27c9042d9ac1  -

Of course you may also use this and pgsql/mysql to change the password for any user via command line as requested by another user.

New Contributor

Thank you you are a savior.. I was looking for this answer since admin/admin wouldnt work. When you update admin ambari, its the password size to be minimum 8 characters long.